Sweet Potato Gratin is an excellent dish for people who has a craving for a sugary dessert that’s also healthy. Aside from being a very tasty meal, it also contains lots of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It is believed to provide people with 400% of the Vitamin A that a single person can require in a single day.
Where Did I First Encounter Sweet Potato Gratin?
Well, it was a long time ago. I was in one of my favorite cooking classes. My instructor was teaching a new recipe, not exactly a new one because he did introduce this dish as an old classic, but you already know what I mean.
Anyways, my instructor talked about how his mother used to serve him this for dessert knowing that this was an all-time favorite. And that was basically how it all started.
During the class, he gave us samples of the Sweet Potato Gratin and how he would typically prepare it. And it was simply incredible. He had to let us taste it so that we would have an idea of how we needed to model the Sweet Potato Gratin that we were about to make.
So that was the first time, I tasted and prepared my own dish of Sweet Potato Gratin.
Not to brag, but I made a pretty mean Sweet Potato Gratin for an absolute beginner. From then on, I started serving it for a holiday meal, Sometimes, even for a sweet evening with loved ones.
That went on for quite a few years. Of course, I later on ALMOST forgot about it as I started to learn about other new recipes. It’s a good thing I was reminded of it as I was going through my old cooking journals.
Otherwise, I wouldn’t have been able to share my wonderful recipe with all of you beautiful people.
What Ingredients Will You Need For Sweet Potato Gratin?
One of the things that I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t require a whole lot of fancy ingredients. Sure, you may need some help with the process (you gotta learn about it after all before you perfect your own) but aside from that, the ingredients are pretty basic.
These are things that you’ll most likely find in your own kitchen or if not, you can totally get them in your nearby grocery stores. That means that almost every other person can make their own Sweet Potato Gratin.
So here are the ingredients that you’ll need:
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Sweet potato slices
- Thyme and nutmeg
- Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut milk
- Whole milk (you can also use Almond milk as an alternative)
Cheesy Sweet Potato Gratin Recipe
And here is the moment you have all been waiting for. This is the moment that we are going to actually start with the nitty and gritty on making this delicious side dish just in time for dinner tonight.
- The first thing that you need to do is to heat oven to 375℉. What comes next is not very exciting but is part of the process to make your tasty yukon gold potatoes.
- Get a medium saucepan, particularly one that is around 9 inches. You need to grease the pan with oil or butter. Just set that aside for now.
- Now, you can use your typical slicer but I highly recommend that you use a mandoline to slice the potatoes into thin slices. Make sure that you slice them horizontally to make sure that you don’t go wrong with your potatoes. You need to make sure that your layers of potatoes aren’t any thicker than 1/8 inch.
- Once you have gotten that all setup, you can grab your baking dish and then layer your potatoes while making sure that they are overlapping each other.
- You need to set aside 1/2 cup of Gruyére cheese. Take a third of that and sprinkle it on top of the sweet potatoes along with the cheddar and parmesan cheese. Repeat the process for two more layers of potatoes and cheese.
- You can now take your medium saucepan and heat the olive oil until shimmering. You can then take your garlic and cook it in the saucepan for five minutes. It is time to stop when you notice the savory flavor.
- Add the cream, nutmeg, and thyme until it comes to a shimmer. Season it with salt and pepper. Do this carefully and make sure that it doesn’t come to a boil.
It’s time to stir in the reserved 1/2 cup of Gruyére cheese until it melts. This will create a warm cream mixture that you can pour into your comforting side dish of cheesy au gratin potatoes.
Let the heavy cream sink into each layer of the potatoes. Sprinkle top with thyme leaves.
Now it is time for the best part. This is when you go ahead and bake your sweet potato dish. You need to bake it until it reaches a color of golden brown. Another tell sign that your meal of the day is all done is when the potatoes are already tender.
This can take a while. A rough estimation of the cooking time would be 45-50 minutes. It is important to keep around this time card. If you are noticing that the sweet potato dauphinoise is turning golden too quickly, make sure to wrap it with aluminum foil.
Once you are all done, you can remove your delicious sweet potato gratin from the oven and then let it cool for about 10 minutes at room temperature.
The recipe is finished at this point I think due to this blog post, I may end up serving this at our dinner table more often. It’s a good substitute for weeknight dinners.
This is one of my favorite holiday dishes. And even though there are lots of easy au gratin potatoes recipes out there, this one will remain to be my favorite recipe card.
Let me know what you think of the recipe and if there is any other delicious twist that you can add to this one, I would be more than glad to know about them in the comment section.
I share healthy recipes, clean eating ideas, and meal plans for weight loss, as well as give you the best tips on wellness, pregnancy, and parenting advice.